Our good little ship hung out in Norfolk awaiting the arrival of one more crew. The temperature warmed into the 70s, hinting of a climate ahead suitable for those of us having an out-of-latitude experience.
We cast off the moment we collected our additional crew.
Our hope to get to a bridge 12 miles south that had a scheduled opening at 4 p.m. and not another until 6 a.m. Then to clear a lock just south of the bridge that did not permit passage after 4 pm.
We would have made it all the way except two train bridges, which are usually open, were closed when we arrived
Watermark and her crew are anchored snugly in a narrow channel watching the light fade, wilderness to the left and to the right. Ahead and astern are other boats waiting for the next opening of the lock at midnight.